Monday, June 28, 2010

A Reclaimed Gardening Organizer

I'm not much of a crafter, but I do enjoy finding new uses for items that otherwise would make it to my local thrift store. 


Today's idea is the perfect reuse of the obsolete CD case.  You may be like me and have your entire library of music on iTunes.  I have not popped in a store bought CD in ages.  Recently I was cleaning after having my floors refinished, trying to pare down what I have and realized that I was wasting precious storage on four huge CD cases that I had not opened in probably 3 years.  It was time they get donated...when I realized the perfect reuse!

Some of my biggest garden failures stem from losing the little ID sticks that you get when you buy the plant...you know: the ones that tell you what the plant is called, how much sun and water it needs and when it should bloom, as well as the temperatures it can sustain and proper planting procedures.  I usually leave them on my kitchen counter until they start bugging me and end up in the trash.  In fact, I'm in some sort of purgatory with a flowering bush I bought from Greensgrow Farms here in Port Fishington in Philadelphia, trying to figure out if it's dead or it simply is just a Spring bloomer but cannot find it online anywhere!

So my obsolete CD holder becomes the perfect way to store these ID tags!  The clear pockets make seeing the tags a cinch and the sizing is almost perfect to hold 3 smaller tags.  The larger tags can be snipped at the bottom, not losing an ounce of text, where the tag used to stick into the soil. 

Ta da!  

1 comment:

  1. Very Inspiring! Venetia and I are trying our own potted garden on our terrace. 1 tomato and mint to start. Looking forward to more miracles :) Anthee :)

    ReplyDelete